Thursday, September 9, 2010

GARLICED!!!!!!

Can you smell it. Bright and a bit pungent as well.
I love Garlic. No matter what you do to it!
Roast it! Sauté it! Mince it! Shave it! Grate it! Slice it! And of course Fry it!

Ok did I mention I heart <3 the Garlic!

I had to use it in a recipe this last week. My mother-in-law, Donna, had this new kitchen tool that she wanted me to try out. It's a garlic roller, but not what you would normally think of as a garlic roller.

What it does; well it does what it does with peeled garlic cut into smaller pieces.
Let me just show you the pictures.

Garlic in! 

Roll, Roll, Roll, With all your might kids, Roll the dang snot out of the dang Garlic!
Done! Not bad! It was however more work than just slicing and mincing myself. All together I give this a D. If you like to invoke the help of children then it might be a C at best. I would say don't waste your moolah on this gadget.

Roasted Root Veg and Butternut Squash! YUMMMY!

1 butternut squash peeled and cut into 1" pieces
2 Red Onions
Mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 lb. of potatoes cubed into 1", I used a white and rather creamy type
Carrots, in thick strips, about 1" wide
Parsnips, in thick strips, about 1" wide
Turnips, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
3 sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
(I do have to recommend HIGHLY the fresh, it's just better)
Sea Salt (or Kosher Salt)
Fresh Ground Pepper (again just better)
Olive Oil (enough to coat all of the veg)
1 cup of broth

Heat the oven to 450* F. and Roast the veg for 30 minutes. Take it out and let it rest for 10 minutes. Turn the oven to 350* and add 2 ladles, or about 1 cup of broth. The type of broth is your choice. I had chicken on hand so I used that. Turn all the veg around to coat in the broth.
Put back in the oven for another 20 minutes. If you like your roasted veggies to be a little crispy you will want to keep them in about 5-10 minutes longer than that!
They are done, enjoy!

This recipe has been modified from one I found in a Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment