Thursday, September 16, 2010

Comfort food and beginings.

If you have read my very first blog post you know about my most distinct memory of food. A pig name Sally and an Uncle named Ben. A match made in heaven!

I haven't ever told you though where my true love of cooking started. One of my greatest cooking influences, my Papa Fouse!
We would go and stay with them, and papa would make pancakes, Biscuits and Gravy, BBQ (he made his own sauce), and so much more!

On Saturday mornings at 10 am, he would watch Justin Wilson without fail. They kinda look a like. Well maybe not a ton.

Anyhow, JW was the first chef that got me interested in cooking. I remember how he would say "One teaspoonsfull, I want to be sure I don't lies to people about the teaspoonsfull, there you see." Cause he put it in his hand. Or "I gar-on-tee it". Did I mention he's awesome!

Ok so I didn't use the "holy trinity" of Cajun cooking, celery, pepper, and onion.
I did use onion and garlic. So this may not be the true authentication of Cajun Gumbo, but it was very good!

What I used:

Leftover turkey (you could probably use one chicken cut into pieces)
Smoked sausage (you should use Gumbo (andouille) sausage if you can find it)
4 strips of pepper bacon 
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup chopped onion
1 chopped garlic clove
3 cups water
3 cups of broth
4 cups dry white wine
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Louisiana hot or tobasco sauce
  salt to taste

Start by cooking the bacon in the pot that you'll be making the Gumbo in. Once you've cooked the bacon and it has rendered most of its fat take the bacon out and turn your heat to low. Start adding the flour to the pot slowly.
You want to make sure that as you add the flour you get all of the lumps out before you add more flour. It should resemble a custard when your done...this is because you are also adding broth as needed to help it stay a bit moist.
When you have a nice brown roux (about 5 minutes) thrown in the onions and garlic and cook them for another 2-3 minutes, keeping in mind all the while, that you need to keep your roux moist.
Here is a video on how to make a roux that might help you if you are a virgin rouxster (hehehe):ROUX

To this mixture add the worcestershire sauce and the hot sauce. Stir!

Start adding the water and the rest of your broth. Stir, Stir, Stir. Make sure that all of your roux and liquid get completely and thoroughly mixed. Once they are mixed add the wine.  


Taste it and if you think it needs salt add some, if it needs more pepper sause add some!

Now add the meat (exclude the bacon).

Let this come to a boil and then simmer for about an hour.
Here is the kicker you have to put this into the fridge and let the flavors meld! I would really actually recommend this for any soup, but especially the Gumbo!

I know that probably some of you are saying this isn't true Gumbo. You are kind of right. I made this to suit my family. Personally I would have added File' already and okra, and some wonderful rice!
Instead I put out a pot of rice, fried the okra, and left the file' on the table along with extra hot pepper sauce. This made for a happy family.
Someone once told me that Gumbo is like Minestrone You add everything but the kitchen sink.

All I know is that this was my first time making Gumbo and I will be doing it again. It was comforting like bread pudding and and warmed the soul like a good bourbon. I can't wait to do this again without stipulations from others! 




1 comment:

  1. That is a wonderful blog and story. Mom got to read it with me.
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete