Thursday, September 15, 2011

It's time to start again

I know I've said it before, but this time I mean it. Fall is soon, like next week, and today is perfect! A cool 57* and cloudy! This is my favorite time of year!

Because I love you, and because I care, you should know why I've been so remiss lately.
1. 100* and hotter weather.
2. We moved into a house which is finally in working order
3. We are going to have a baby and food hasn't been my highest priority.

Now let me tell you about last night! Two highlights from the evening meal. The first was great company! We are blessed with some amazing friends in our life. The second was wonderful wonderful food!

The Menu:
Bangers and Mash (Sausages and Mashed potatoes)
Cabbage
peas
Rolls
Fruit Salad (It was beautiful and perfect) Thanks Jen
Apple pie
Fresh whipped Cream

Bangers and Mash: Preheat oven to 450*

For the potatoes (which is the most time consuming part of the meal) I used the Pioneer Woman's recipe: Find it HERE
Probably really close to the best mashed potatoes I've ever had. Once those where cooked I loaded them up in the biggest cast iron skillet I had (it's huge and I rubbed it down with butter first) dotted it with butter and put my sausages on the top of the potatoes.
Push down a bit so they snug in the comfort of the mash!
Throw it in the oven for 20 minutes. If the sausages haven't split it's not done. Try another 10 minutes and check! I think you know what I'm going to say, but I'm saying it anyways, once the sausages have split it's ready!

Peas- boiled until done salt and pepper.
Cabbage- crock pot for 6 hours butter and salt and pepper

Apple Pie- preheat oven to 450* or don't turn it off from earlier.
 2 LBS Apples
1 recipe for 2 crust pie or store bought
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/8 cup of flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp of nutmeg and allspice
3/4 tsp of clove
1tsp salt
1-3 Tbl. + 1 tsp lemon juice
1 egg wash
2 tbls. Sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Cut 2 pounds of apples in slices. Sprinkle with tsp. lemon juice so they don't brown.
Mix the Brown sugar, Flour, Salt, and spices (not including the bottom 2 tsp of cinnamon) together. Throw in with the apples and mix well. Add the Lemon juice (the amount depends on how juicey and tangy you would like the pie to be). Cover the apples and put them in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Roll out the crust and get it ready for the apples. you want about in inch extra over the pie plate on the bottom crust. Put your apples in. I don't do any fancy arrangements or anything, I just put them in. Top with the second crust that is not an inch over the pie plate, but fits it perfectly. I then crimp the two crust together and roll down. It looks really pretty.
Cut slits or do a hole in the middle, whatever you choose. Brush with the egg wash, and sprinkle with the combined cinnamon and sugar (mmmmmm.....cinnamon-sugar, it makes everything better)!
Next wrap the edge of the pie in aluminum foil. This will insure that your pie cooks but the edges don't burn!
Bake for 30 minutes! Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes!
Let cool for 20 minutes on the stove before serving.
Serve warm with fresh whipped cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment